Sunday, November 4, 2012

Surprise 70th Black & White and Garden Party

My Mother-In-Law turned 70 this week. Unlike most people, she loves surprises. She always says if it's not a surprise why bother. Sooooo, of course we had to throw her a surprise party!
Party Theme:  Garden & Stripes. Annika of Cakes Like a Party created the most unbelievable Garden and Stripes printable party collection. Annika was gracious enough to grant my last minute request.
Party Decorations: Huge scrolly banners, crepe paper flowers, and black and white fabrics. 
Party Highlights: A Pie Station filled with the birthday girl's favorite desserts

Cheesecake, Apple and  Raspberry Pies

Beverage area with black polka dot plate wall

My hutch transformed with black paper plates and crepe paper roses

Money Saver Party Tip: I bought a twin sheet set in a great black and white fabric. I threw the flat sheet on top of my  Tablevogue tablecloth that I use on my 6' folding table. The fitted sheet fit perfectly on my kitchen table and I also lined the inside of a frame on the wall with the pillowcase, all for $10!

Appetizer Home Run: The most beloved appetizer I have ever made is this Brie En Croute recipe by Paula Deen. It's so easy to make and really tasty!

Some birthday singing to Grammy!

To be honest, I've been simplifying my parties lately. I love a big party, but sometimes it's just nice to keep things small and homemade. I chose to use only one party resource (Cakes Like a Party) and made all the decorations myself for under $15. The party was a huge success because the birthday girl was so surprised, grateful, and surrounded by the company of lifelong friends and family all evening. That is what celebrating is all about.

Lastly, a HUGE thank you to Annika for letting me use your party collection, my sisters-in-law for helping with all the food, and my hubby and buggers for helping with all the party prep!


  1. Love this, Jenny! Small and handmade is awesome. Love the black with the pops of color and pattern. Great job!

  2. Such a sweet party from the heart! Love all the lil' details especially those paper plates! {wink} oxoxo

  3. It turned out fabulous! Love the black & white!!And you already know how much I LOVE that yellow dresser!

  4. I love a sweet homemade party like that. The polka dot wall with paper plates is genius!

  5. what a pretty design and style Jenny! And a lovely celebration!

  6. Super FABULOUS Jenny! It looks divine! Thanks so much for reaching out! It was so much fun to work with you! You are a party rockstar!!!

  7. The pie station is so whimsical and pretty! I love pie! Just adorable!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips