Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Backdrop FAIL {Behind the scenes of the Roller Skate Shoot}

Yesterday, I posted a picture from my Roller Skate shoot for Bird's Party Magazine. Today I thought I'd share a few behind the scenes moments. One thing is for sure, my creative process is just that, a process. I find that my sketches don't always translate into great designs. My original idea was to create a backdrop that looked like a laced up skate using ribbon and fabric. I started with a big piece of white foam board...


Then laced red ribbon through the fabric, nope not quite right. 

Maybe a big tie at the top will help? Nope.

 I had another piece of fabric, maybe the lace needed layers? The lacing looked better, 
but it was still a huge FAIL. Looked too much like a corset.

I tore everything apart after hours of lacing (painful, yes). Then I had a light-bulb moment, crepe paper!
Instead of actually lacing the backdrop, I created the same look with pieces of crepe paper. 
The crepe paper was much wider than the ribbon and created a much bolder look. 
Finally, the backdrop was complete! If only I had thought of that first I would have saved myself a lot of time and ribbon!

You can read more about this party in Bird's Party Magazine, Fall Issue #6

What has been your worst craft fail?



6 comments:

  1. I love your set up. Thanks for sharing your process...it's always great to learn that people don't always get it right the first time and sometimes they have to tweek ideas. :) Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sharing of the process! It's such a creative outlet and brainstorming is so much fun! I loved the spread in the magazine! Just love Bird 8) Nice job!

    It's been rare that I had several attempts at a vision, thankfully, but I am sure it's bound to happen soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to see the process - not only the changing of the backdrop, but the changes of the table along the way too. I've had my fair share of craft fails along the way, but you always find what works, eventually! Thanks for sharing! The final shoot is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing with us, I liked the final background a lot with the crepe paper and it seemed just like that was the intention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love failure. Not at that moment it happens but as I reflect on my process. My most brilliant and genius ideas came from complete and utter failure. Example? The Paper Plate Backdrop. We were desperate to find a universal backdrop for our products. Something that was recognizable but not overpowering. Then standing in the aisle of the party store it hit me--paper plates. The rest is history.

    Love the "real"-ness, Ms. J! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it... it looks amazing and I love those light bulb moments where it comes together!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips