Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Perfection is going out of style...

There's been many posts written lately about burnout,
depression stemming from unrealistic craft projects, perfectly executed parties, even Pinterest envy. 
Often all readers see on websites are the finished products,
beautiful images that require hours and hours of editing behind the scenes. 
Not the hours of creative time, craft fails, and hot glue gun scars. 
Pressure for perfection seems to be mounting. 
I feel it even here in my little space (self-induced pressure mind you),
I've been thinking a lot about this lately.
My last guest post on ediTORIal brought out my first official hater, 
a person quick to judge and express her harsh opinions.
She really didn't like my spray paint project or mail party (yes, used the word garbage)
It was hard to read, but I kept my head up. 
It's the risk you take when you put yourself out there, I tell myself. 
My parties are real.
I bake my own cakes, make my own cake stands. 
I try not to photograph too much of the actual party so we can just enjoy it. 
It's never perfect, but it's me.
I have 2 boys, 2 fish, a husband, and a house to care for. 
Perfection is not my gold standard. 
I love the creative process. I get lost in it. 
I love to share my ideas. 
I get giddy when I hit publish on a post that I think people will really like.
But I will not compare myself to others. 
My parties will never be flawless, fake, or budget busting.
I hope you will not hold yourself to an unreachable level of perfection either. 
I hope you craft, bake, or do whatever your passion is
not to please others, 
but because you love doing so.
And I promise to do the same. 

Image found here


  1. Love everything you is creative, share your creativity and have FUN :)

  2. Very well said! A party is about having fun!

  3. Well said Jenny! Be creative, have fun and most of all enjoy the experience with your family and teach your children to do the same!

  4. LOve this - I could have written this as well. Feeling the same way lately. lol Is there a party burn-out group? Maybe we should start one - lol Thanks for the post! =) btw - I LOVED your mailman party! xoxo

  5. Bravo! Just a few of the many reasons I love you! ♥

  6. I have been loving these posts... I am just a party-loving mama and I definitely migrate towards blogs that have accessible ideas and realistic parties. I was once asked to submit a tutorial for a blog--I came up with an original idea, specifically for her blog and audience--and it was denied because the photos weren't professionally done. It totally stopped me from submitting anything from any of those large pretty blogs... and even made me feel bad about what I was posting on my own blog. I still look at those pretty blogs for inspiration and understand they are done by people in the business with photog friends, but I def keep my own life in perspective, what my needs and limits are... and that's the most important thing. Otherwise you can get overwhelmed or be disappointed. Thank you for your honest point of view. I'm sure it's not an easy thing to put it out there!

  7. I'm with you on this! Perfection is exhausting. And I think we lose the real objective along the way when that becomes our goal. If I'm being honest, a lot of the "perfect" parties I see around the web leave me feeling a little cold. While I love the eye candy, they often lack personality or that feeling of being welcome and excited that I want to get when I attend a party. I'm glad people are being honest about all of this lately.

  8. Amen!! Took the words right out of my mouth.

  9. I like this post Jenny, thanks for sharing! And keeping us in check! =) I like that now matter how good I might think I'm at something, I know how to appreciate others for their best work and I'm totally a fan of yours because my hands are not crafty and your ideas are the best!! Love ya friend!

  10. Very well written! I really loved your mail party ideas - sometimes people are critical and harsh because they are jealous of what you've done. Keep creating - because there are people out there (like me!) who LOVE to read what you've come up with.

  11. Great post!!
    I try to live by "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything"...and it stinks that others aren't as considerate. btw, I know she's just jealous of your fab talent!!!!!

  12. OH JENNY! I couldn't have said it better myself! LOVE AND ADORE!

  13. AMEN sister. My feelings exactly! :)

  14. Thank you! I agree with it all, and offer another AMEN sister! I will still strive to create the best celebrations I can. If someone is burned out, then they obviously need to take a break. My children are now grown and no longer live at home, which is why I can devote the time to creating what I create. Here's to you!! Don't stop creating, you are great!

  15. Jenny, your parties are fantastic and all those things are what make me truly love the parties you create. You throw an amazing shindig that could actually be inspiration for regular people who live by a budget. I love that! So sorry you had to deal with mean comments ... I hope you never let that discourage you and that it never prevents you from posting your awesome ideas here.

  16. Good for you for claiming who you are and where your priorities are. And it's crazy that someone would post negatively about any party. Whatever happened to "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything"?

  17. Tell it like it is sister!! I completely agree with you... Ignore the haters, embrace your creativity, keep sharing (cuz I love what you share) and keep it real. You go girl!!!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips