Friday, April 27, 2012

A First Class 4th Birthday Mail Party {Click.Ship. Party}



Party Theme: Inspiration can come from unlikely places, even an old rusty neighborhood Post Office mailbox.  It hit me one day that a mail party would make such a fun theme! What child doesn't love delivering and receiving mail?  I contacted my favorite duo at Piggy Bank Parties to create a brand spanking new mail party collection. They delivered the most fun, all-inclusive party collection I have ever worked with!

Colors: Red, White, and Blue and accents of mail carrier uniform blue

Invitations and Graphics: Piggy Bank Parties designed the collection to include interactive invitations! Each guest received a mailbox invitation with a movable red flag. Two letters inside the mailbox provided party information for guests.  Piggy Bank Parties thought of every special detail possible, from 4 cent stamps to celebrate the birthday boy turning 4, Mail Truck favor boxes, custom stamps, and envelope banners.

Decor: Guests were welcomed to the party by a whimsical Knock Knock Factory Post Office wreath. I created the rest of the party decor out of any and all packaging materials and boxes delivered to our house that month into the party! The table runner was made from kraft paper and mini envelopes. Centerpieces were made out of boxes and packing peanuts. Large manila envelopes were used as place mats. Mini envelope buntings were strung from Airmail Divine Twine and red and blue balloons were anchored in boxes of course! 

Desserts: I placed my cake plate right inside an official Post Office mail bin filled with mail as main focal point of the dessert table. The cake was topped with a glittery "Post Office 41608" (my son's birthday makes a great zip code!) cake billboard and a fondant mail truck. Fondant stamps and envelopes were placed on top of lemon and raspberry Chambord petit fours. I built a 3-tied dessert stand out of packages to display shimmery mailbox cookies. The most coveted dessert on the table was "Owney's treats", graham crackers shaped as dog biscuits. 

Activities: The kids played a mail sort game using a mail box we crafted out of cardboard. Each party guest received a mail carrier name badge and got to work stamping, sorting, and delivering mail. At the end of the game each child had a mailbox full of mail. The mail opening activity helped control the flow of the party by giving clues and hints as to what we were doing next. The kids received a letter that said "time to learn about Owney", so we gather around and read a special library book about a special dog named Owney, the Post Office Mascot in the 1900s. He became a very famous dog in his time traveling the country via railway and even took a trip around the world by boat as "registered dog mail"!

The kids then received a special letter requesting them to "Design your own stamp". We talked about the importance of stamps and why the illustrations and people represented on our stamps are so important. The kids then used their new colored pencils to design their own stamps. The next few envelopes contained party favors such as mini letterhead and envelopes, stamps, and a special kraft tube filled with colored pencils. All the favors were designed to fit perfectly into the mail truck party favor boxes designed by the ultra talented and creative Piggy Bank Parties.

Finally, the last envelope the children opened had a letter inside with a fork attached stating it was "Time to Eat Cake", so we moved back to the dessert table with our forks for some birthday cake and singing.

Pick Your Own Favor: The children each got to pick an Owney to take home. Owney wore lots of metal tags on his collar to show all the special places he had visited so I made collars adorned with metal tags for each dog and piled the dogs on top of a mail bag (Owney's favorite nap spot). This was a huge hit! The children were delighted to chose their own new friend to take home!

The party was a first class success. Our sweet mailman even parked his mail truck in front the of house for the day and even popped in for a visit!

Vendor Credits:

Photography: Allison Kaharick 
Mail Party Collection, envelopes, ribbon, printed banners, food labels, and signs- Piggy Bank Parties
Balloons and Paper Rosettes- Polka Dot Market
Fondant Mail Truck and Petit Four Toppers: Edible Details
Cake billboard and Noah banner: The Purple Pug
Kraft Tubes with colored pencils: Sweet Lulu
Educational Resource and stamp printable: Smithsonian National Postal Museum 

40 comments:

  1. Wicked awesome + clever. Signed, sealed and delivered-you rule. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an amazing job!! So glad we could be a part(y) of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and original! I love it all, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Click. Ship. Party! You know I love every detail...including you! Every time I see the photos I have to {break for a Happy Dance!} ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUCH a GREAT IDEA - executed perfectly! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such an awesome theme The clever details are amazing! What a lucky little boy! FABULOUS job, Jenny! I think you thought of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a GREAT idea!!! LOVE it!!! This party brings a smile to my face!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous party! Such cute details everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  9. JENNY! I cannot even handle this!!!! I swear that just the other day I was at the grocery store and I thought to myself..."when are petit fours going to be take the place of cupcakes?" You beat me to the punch! Your creativity is amazing. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I also love that our babies are only a month apart! Well, a month and three days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE it, Jenny!!! Each & every detail is perfectly executed~ SO happy to play a small part in this!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenny, I love this creative party theme! You did a great job and it sounds like the kids had lots of fun! I have to say my absolute favorite are those invitations and favor boxes, ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenny - amazing job girl! I LOVE every single detail. Cannot get over the cuteness of the utensils, mailbox activity for the kids and all of the mail accessories! And to top it off - a MAIL TRUCK! First Class all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So unique! You should submit the photos to the US Post Office - I'm sure they would be flattered!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this party! The details are amazing! I adore the favor boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE unique parties and you totally rocked this one...love EVERYTHING!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah-mazing, my sweet Jenny! So freakin' original and adorable... you really thought of every single detail. First class perfection!!! And, of course, cardboard box love! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. ADORABLE! so many fabulous details and such a unique party theme. Every detail just pops.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG!!!!! You are killing me with all these clever details!! LOVE the mail truck, mail room, favors..;you are sooooo AWESOME!!!! Clever and beautiful!! way to go Jenny! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! WOW! WOW!! The puppies, the mailbox, the utensils, THE THEME! The originality and details are overwhelmingly fabulous!! You have out done yourself. Blissful party perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I cannot tell you how much I love this theme! So original and executed to perfection! You are simply AMAZING! Your details are ridiculous!!! New follower here my friend! I must repost!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such an ADORABLE theme! LOVE LOVE LOVE every single detail! You did an amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A really fun theme, I might request a mail party for my next birthday! The paper products are gorgeous against all of the kraft paper. I especially love the mail box cups!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jenny, this party was wonderful! From a teacher's perspective, it was great to know you read a book during the party and the kiddo's had an activity using what they had learned! I love it! You must have a postal carrier that is as sweet as ours...he would do that! PBP will be my stop for a Mail truck favor box for our favorite USPS carrier's Christmas gift!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So fantastically original and cool! I tire of the same old same old-thank you so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I got a snack and a drink and sat down to read this famous post...I knew it would be amazing! Just like everything else you do Jenny, but most of all I am impressed with your wonderful theme and the way you carried through the party. Oh I'm sure the kids must've had tons of fun!! You're a genious my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. this is absolutely adorable!! and so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I had no idea the Post Office could be so much fun. This is absolutely Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. There are really no words to describe how awesome this is!!
    Every last detail is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I knew from your posts on Facebook that this was going to be an amazing party. I've been looking forward to this post. WOW! This is incredible and sounds like So. Much. Fun! You did an fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love everything, Jenny! So adorable. Shared on our Facebook wall today. I think you have started a trend...expect many more "mail" parties to come! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jenny, this party is so stinkin' cute ... as all of your parties are! I love it! What a unique and fun idea. I'm sharing on my facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is beyond great! I love it because it's unique! And what a great mailman to park his truck for the party! Saw this on Creative Juice. I would love to be able to feature this in my Soiree Day sometime, may I?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Absolutely positively adorable!! I love every single detail!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is adorable!! I love it, what a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gorgeous and so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am not sure how I missed this post in my feed, but stumbled on it when Spaceships and Laserbeams posted it. I love everything about it...you are so talented! Off to go pin it for future inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I didn't know that one can do post office or mail theme party in such beautiful way.Theme itself sounds creative. Decorations done here are so nice. Seems that all kids had loads of fun.

    Click here to know about more birthday party themes with party characters.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is so creative! Can you tell me where you got the puppy dog favors? Those are perfect for what I have been looking for.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips